Sunday, September 8, 2013

iPad bag

If you stitch it, an idea will come.

 

Over the summer I stitched a couple of small cross stitch projects because I needed something portable: the bee from Blackbird Designs' Honeybee Hill and a parrot from Sampler and Antique Needlework Quarterly, Fall 2008. I had no idea what I was going to do with them, but I liked them.

 

Meanwhile, my iPad has become an essential tool at work. I take it to all my meetings. It's so convenient to be able to email people notes without transcribing them from a notepad. But it's a pain to juggle my iPad, phone and files from place to place.

 

So I decided to make a bag from my iPad. I took inspiration for the embroidery from Jardin reve, jardin brode by Cecile Franconie. This is the most gorgeous embroidery book I've ever seen. It's definitely worth the shipping price to order from Amazon France.

 

I combined the cross stitch with some batik 5" squares I've had forever. Unfortunately, it didn't put much of a dent in my baggie of squares. Many more projects in there.

 

It's hand quilted on one side with tatting thread that happened to be a good color, and machine quilted on the other. All of the lace on the parrot side is hand-dyed by me - more of my stash that was going unused.

 

 

I like carrying it around, and I like the fact that I made something usable instead of my work sitting around unfinished.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment